Re: Felting

AUSSIEPLAC@aol.com
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 20:05:59 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-11-19 14:02:05 EST, laneyh@mbay.net writes:

<< The original horseriders from the Steppes of Central Asia rode on nothing
but pads. Maybe they stuffed them with horsehair. Give it a try and let
us know how it works!!!
Here's to warm-instead-of-cold winters - why do you think I'm in central
CA? (Horse here still grow massive coats) Laney
>Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1 >>
Steppes of CentralAsia not being too far from Australia, maybe we can take a
lesson here? Australians have been using hair in their saddles for 200 years.
It felts, melds into the saddle, cannot be awled, and more is put in over the
top, also a product known as curly hair, much like upholsterers use.
Eventually, they take it out and start over. It shapes to the horse's back,
is cool, and cushions. Has been replaced in the last 15 yrs. with synthetic
wool, a long-staple synthetic that is warmer, but keeps its buoyancy. Judy