RE: Need Truck Advise

JERRY BARFIELD (barfield@primenet.com)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 18:28:33 -0700

Karen, Number 1-Stay away from the short wheelbase SUV's (Blazer, =
Bronco,etc.) . A pickup, preferably with long wheelbase, will give you a =
much better towing platform. Number 2- Since nothing is ever =
perfect-buy more truck, not less, than you need. Borderline capacity =
means more repair bills in the long run. Number 3- A salesman might try =
to tell you that the base V-8 (302 Ford,305 GM) is enough (and it will =
work for awhile) but my advice is to go to at least the 351 Ford or 350 =
GM with not less than a 3.73:1 final drive-4.10:1 would be even better =
if you plan to use this truck mainly for towing.

Jerry Barfield & SA Dust Devil+/
Southwind Arabians

----------
From: by way of jbumgard@ridgecrest.ca.us (Jackie =
Bumgardner)[SMTP:mkgehrin@n-jcenter.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 1997 12:32 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Need Truck Advise

I have a Ford Bronco that is intent on driving me into debt. I've paid
my last repair bill on the lemon and need to find something else. I
want a vehicle that is simple, reliable, not too expensive and that is
capable of towing a two horse straight trailer with two medium sized
horses. I actually only have one but I'd like the capacity to haul
someone with me if needed. Does anyone have any ideas on what might fit
those requirements? I'm going to get consumer reports for info but I
was interested in people's real life experience. Thanks.

Karen
Ormond Beach