Re: Sore sides

Barbara Madill (madill@teleplex.net)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 08:52:30 -0500 (EST)

At 09:34 PM 11/10/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi, Barbara,

>and I can report that she doesn't have "busy legs"! Her mare is a big
>moving TB.
>
>Who did you get the Syn Felt stuff from? Always interested in a better
>way to do things.
>
>Lynne
>Rem-member Me
>and Celesteele, the new kid

Having a REALLY good and knowledgeable friend to critique one's
riding is, of course the BEST!!! Unfortunately such are hard to find, hence
my suggestion regarding the impartiality of the video camera.

"Big mover" may be the operative phrase. Teaching the mare to hold
a balanced pace where all of her muscles are used more or less equally
(impossible, I know, but I think you know what I'm aiming at) might help.

State Line Tack 1-800-228-9208 (Western Catalog) carries four sizes
of their 30" x 30" Syn-Felt blanket liner. 1/4" through 1" with main
catalog prices from $10.90 through $34.90. Right now only the 5/8" and 1"
are on "sale" in their coupon flyer.

I was introduced to this product by a western trainer who had me
purchase the 1" pad. It was impossible to wash in washer and was too thich
for all but one of my horses. He traded with me for a Marciante pad (see
comment below) that he didn't like. Great trade because the Marciante pad
is at least $50.00.

The 5/8" Syn-Felt CAN be washed in washer.

I like the 3/8" -- can use two if needed or combine with other padding

I think there may be a textural difference between the white and
black pads resulting in a slightly coarser edge on the black. While I do
most of my everyday schooling on my rib sprung mare using the black, with no
bad effects that I can detect, I use the white on a competition.

The Marciante pad is shaped for an endurance saddle (the one that
Marciante makes, of course). It is 30 x 30, except shaped for round skirts.
The horse side is synthetic fleece, the upper side upholstery fabric with a
Velcro fastener down the center of the back. It has two 5/8 surgical
mattress pads inserted into each "pocket" (the result is a bit on the idea
of the Ortho paneling, though, of course, not fixed to the saddle.)
Marciante advertises in Equus -- if you don't subscribe to it, write back
and I'll look up the address.

I found an Army Navy surplus store with 1/2" mattresses and made
various shims as necessary to accomodate different horses. I also made a
black Dressage pad with insert pockets using black fleece and a heavy black
twill I found at a fabric outlet. The trick to making one is to make sure
your inserts are evenly balanced and don't leave enough gap at the back to
put pressure as the saddle tends to push against the pads.