Re: Sore sides

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 10:11:28 -0800

Kristen L Olko wrote:

> Help me, please. My horse has started getting "sore sides"
> Her back was rinsed today and the pad cover was clean. I use a capful of
> Woolite when washing,
> but only a single rinse. Any ideas?

First - stop using ANY soaps for washing the pad. Soap could be thje
culprit. We wash our pads with a double rinse, no soap. They come out
clean, although I admit we wash more pads than we do human clothes.
We're sticklers for clean stuff against the horse.

Secondly, check to see that the hair is laying in the right direction
when she is saddled. I set the saddle forward, and allow it to slide
into the correct position, smoothing the hair in the right direction as
it settles.

Last suggestion is to assure that you are using natural fibers (like
wool) against her skin as opposed to polyester (Kodel, and other
synthetic "fleeces"). The natural fibers do not scurfg a sensitive
horse as much.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV