Re: Chevy truck transmissions

RJ Research (rjr@sonic.net)
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 19:04:49 -0800

At 07:59 PM 11/6/97 EST, you wrote:
>Some of you may recall my post a couple of months ago about a failed auto
>transmission on my '92 /Chev. 3/4 T pickup. Several of you gave extremely
>helpful hints how to override the auto while towing and especially while
doing
>hills.

I felt I had to respond to this. I have a '91 GMC (interchangable with the
Chevy model),3/4 ton 4x4, special tow package, external cooler, etc. I
also lost my trans. at about the 12,000 mile mark. GMC replaced it with a
rebuilt one that was defective, replaced again immediately with new
tranmission. (I was now on trans #3). At 60,000 miles, while my daughter
and I were towing cross country from California to Ky. with 2 horses in
trailer, my transmission blew near Des Moine, Iowa (Altoona). Took 5 days
to repair it but GMC paid half (Transmission #4). About 3 weeks ago the
truck was making strange noises and felt like it was skipping - Right - the
transmission failed at just under 100,000 miles (transmission #5 and the
final one!!) No, I don't tow in overdrive and yes, we do live up in the
hills, but really -- 5 transmissions in a truck that I was told by the
"super salesman" was more than adequate for what I was towing (3 horse
stock trailer) and for where I lived. We have a saying with this truck --
if you hear a strange noise, just close the windows and turn up the radio.

My next truck will be a souped up (in towing terms) Dodge Diesel with all
the bells and whistles!

Just blowing off steam!!

Kathy and Jazzy in N. Cal.