ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Quest + Tape Worms

Re: Quest + Tape Worms

Kathy Myers (kathy@nvolve.com)
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 08:24:33 -0800

ti wrote:
>The speaker at the symposium said it's [Quest] just fine against tapeworms,
>but usless for liver flukes--only gut-oriented worms.

Well, they certainly are not claiming to kill tapes in their ads.

I'm concerned about misinformation on this one. I have the fold out
ads here from last months Equus (rather extensive on both Quest and
Ivermectin... sometimes ads are informative). Niether Quest nor
Ivermectin claim to be effective at all on tape worms. My vet indicated
that Ivermectin was not effective against tapes and that I should infact
rotate Strongid (I use the paste) in. He indicated that a double dose
of Strongid paste would clear out tapes and that I should do this once
a year. I have not yet had a chance to talk to him about where Quest
might fit into this schedule (It probably should) but I do intend to ask
him just that within the next month. From the ads, this is my impression:

Quest does not kill as many different worms as Ivermectin.
Neither Quest nor Ivermectin will kill tapes
Quest's new action is it will kill encysted small strongyles
Ivermectin does not kill encysted small strongyles
Killing encysted small strongyles once in a while might be a good idea

To kill tapes, my vet recommends using 2 tubes of Strongid once a year
(...read double dose, fat retired TB ex-racers need a full tube)
My worming schedule today every 2 months (prior to Quest):

Ivermectin
Ivermectin
Double Strongid Paste
Ivermectin
Ivermectin
Strongid Paste

If the only reason to worm every 2 months is for killing small strongyles
before they encysted then maybe Quest can reduce the number of wormings
needed. However, from what I can tell it does not replace the total action
of Ivermectin (29 different kinds / stages of worms).

:) - kat myers
in San Mateo (No.) Ca. with Magnum the TB Ex-racer
"Little Matador" 1981 b g 5-0-3/23, ret.