ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Alfalfa and enteroliths

Re: Alfalfa and enteroliths

Reynolds (jakar@aiinc.com)
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:54:54 -0700

Susan Evans Garlinghouse wrote:
> Susan I would like to know more about your
> > info on Mg causing stones and it's naturally occuring high % in the
> > SW soils. Does the SW also include AZ, Fallon NV alfalfa, Scott's
> > Valley alfalfa in No. CA too?

I can speak for the Fallon hay and yes, it is high in magnesium. In
fact our WATER is so high in magnesium, iron, salts, sulfur, and alkali
that a lot of us won't drink it. We see a lot of older people here with
kidney stones and such, and I think it's more the water than anything.
We rely on irrigation water for our alfalfa and this is a watershed
basin where everything seems to accumulate. During the drought years,
we see a huge fish and wildfowl kill. That water has to have an effect
on the concentration of minerals in the alfalfa.
~Nikki -who's constantly chipping "crust" off the water faucets!