ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Cut Off times

Re: Cut Off times

Terry Woolley Howe (cancer@inetworld.net)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:57:00 -0700

Ramey Peticolas-Stroud wrote:

> Now, back to the issue of cut-off times. Unless there is a clear and
> present emergency, or unless there are obvious and unusual safety
> concerns among the vet staff, cut-off times violate a rider's right to
> choose her pace. Namely, that we have 12 hours to complete a 50, 24
> hours for a 100, etc. In other words, cut-off times for the sake of
> administrative convenience are not allowed under AERC rules.
>
> The Protest and Grievance Committee Opinion regarding the Castle Rock
> ride states the official AERC position on this issue quite clearly. It
> is published in the latest Endurance News.
>
> Ramey

Ramey,

As a ride manager I disagree with what you say. I could be wrong, but
I don't recall that I have ever seen a rule that specifically disallowed
cut off times. I believe that with the Castle Rock Ride, the fact that
the cut off times were not announced, and the manner in which the cut
off times were handled at the last vet check was the problem.

Depending on how the course is set up, it is sometimes necessary to
move vets from one vet check to another. There has to be some yardstick
by which you determine whether a rider is not going to be able to
complete the course without being over the time limit. I think, of
course that these cut off times should be reasonable, and I normally
back the time from the finish at a 5 mph pace If it is going to be
necessary that I shut down a vet check at some point in the race, it
is always announced at the ride meeting the night before.

If cut off times were not allowed, it would be necessary for ride
management to hire more vets than they really needed to, which would
increase the entry fee charged the rider.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego