ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: The Effects of Attitude

Re: The Effects of Attitude

Lynette Helgeson (helgeson@lansford.ndak.net)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:33:18 -0500

tish_s@erc.montana.edu wrote:

> Usually I lurk but had to speak up.
>
> I have seen complaints about Trail Blazer.
> I have seen complaints about the Cosequin Challenge.
> I have seen complaints about the ROC.
> I have seen complaints about SPAM.
> I have seen bashing of the Kanavys.
> I have seen nastiness towards Teddy.
> All on this list.....
>
> How does the negativity affect you?

The only time that complaining is constructive is when it is done tosomeone
who can do something about it. If someone is upset about
the way that a ride is marked or something else about the ride and
all they do is complain to everyone else but the ride manager then
the complain is a waste of time and energy for everyone and will
always cause hard feelings. But if the comments are directed to the
manager in a positive and helpful way such as" I know this is your
first ride and we really appreciate your efforts. Some of us had a
problem with the way the trail was marked and I would like to know
if you would be interested in some suggestions on marking the trail
or maybe some help with it on the next ride, you surely are going to
put on another ride because this was a great ride, had a lot of fun......"
You get my meaning. This way the complaining produces some
positive results inside of just bad feelings.

> I have been considering putting on rides again. The criticisms I am
> seeing over and over on the Camp makes me think, Is it really worth it?
> It is rare that someone makes a profit from a ride in the less populated
> areas, which is really most of the country. Long hours are put in and
> it is basically thankless. Gratitude has to come from within as the
> critics outnumber the praisers.

People are always fast to criticize instead of praise, but we are all guilty
ofit. How many different products and services do we receive in our
daily life. How many times have we stopped in the grocery store and tell
the girl at the checkout that she is doing a good job, but let her
overcharge
you on something and we will be right there to complain! The mouth is
a dangerous weapon and we must be careful how we use it. (In this case
I would have to say fingers)

It is a good thing that we have people like Trish to keep us all in line on
this list. Thanks for the good insight Trish!

Lynette
in cold and snowy ND. But it is going to get up into the 70's by
the end of the week. At least that is what the weatherman says, and they
are always right, right?