ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: AERC #

Re: AERC #

Terry Woolley Howe (cancer@inetworld.net)
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 11:28:07 -0700

Bob & MaryAnne Bobrow wrote:

> Terry,
>
> Rest assured that AERC is working to increase its membership and, with
> new management on board, we're also looking forward to being able to
> provide you with more benefits of your membership in the way of more
> educational information and some affinity programs, if we can work them
> out. The decision the Board made was a prudent one based on their best
> guess judgment of future needs of AERC and a means to cover the cost of
> inflation, additional equipment (computer upgrades) needs, etc.
>
> MaryAnne Bobrow

MaryAnne,

I appreciate your response. I don't see what the problem would be in
offering a prorated membership for first time members or renewing
members during the year. Since the Mt. Laguna Ride is in June, I cannot
justify to anyone that they should sign up and get 4 or 5 months of
benefits for $65. But if the dues were prorated for $35, there would
be an incentive to join, and the AERC would have the benefit of a new
member who would probably renew in December. As it is, by December,
frequently those individual have forgotten to sign up since there are
not as many rides in the early winter months.

I happen to call the AERC office a few weeks back and Kate answered the
phone. We talked a few minutes and she indicated that she was the one
who dealt with new members. I told her that I had inquired some time
back as to why there were not prorated dues and was told that they
couldn't do that with the computer program that they were using. She
said that she did not see what the problem would be since all new
members information is entered individually anyway. What money was
accepted as dues for the remainder of the year would not effect anything
so long as everyone still had the same expiration date. What do you see
as the paperwork problem in setting up a schedule for prorated dues
during the year?

Could you also clarify for me how the new $10 registration fee for
horses is going to be handled with respect to new members? If an
individual joins AERC in February for $65, does he also have to pay $10
to register his horse? (Which would actually be a type of raise in
dues since if you did not register your horse you could not accumulate
points with him.)

I look forward to hearing from you. Could you answer these questions
through the ridecamp because I think many members have some questions
concerning the new fees for horses.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego