ridecamp@endurance.net: Lake Sonoma and fat ponies

Lake Sonoma and fat ponies

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull (elsie@calweb.com)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:44:58 -0700

>From the feedback I'm getting, our plans to do the "Lake
Sonoma 25" have been abolished... due to lack of 25-ness.
Thanks people, Ruth included, for straightening that out.

Looks like we'll save our debut until next Spring - perhaps
the Washoe 25...? Provo did this as his first 25 this year
(narrowly missing coming in first (blinkin')) , so it should
be an excellent combination - horse knows what he's doing,
rider (me) will be clueless - which means he'll be able to
take advantage of me mercilessly <agh>.

Another alternative, just to make it really fun, would be to
get plump Mouse out of her current pasture ornament position
and get her going up on the trails and bring her up to speed
over the winter.

(due to lack of time (and suffering from a case of extreme
caution), my "starting" efforts with five-yr old Mouse have been
limited to riding her 7 times (at a walk). As a result, she is
now verging on turning into a dumpling)

That way, we could have clueless rider (Lucy), even more clueless
horse (Mouse), coupled with novice-but-learning-every-day (Patrick)
on horse-that-is-good-at-taking-advantage-and-knows-the-trail (Provo).
We could get Karen-who-knows-what-she's-doing to hold our hands
and have a great time... maybe...

* * *

Anyway, enough babbling aloud, I'm curious about something:

Ann Blankenship wrote:

> Sally, I don't know how much work your new mare has done, but I'd wait a
> little before buying a new saddle. It's possible that she does have
> some withers hidden in there and that regular work will really change
> her back. Sometimes those mares stand around and their backs get really
> fat!

Like I say, Mouse is on the dumpling-side and "rotund" would be
an accurate description. I borrowed Kimberley Price's for-sale
endurance saddle over the weekend and got all excited - thought
I'd found myself a saddle.

Sadly however, when the "equine sports therapist lady" who's been
looking at Provo for us, took a look at the saddle v. Mouse, and
said that it was rocking in the middle. Apparently Mouse has a
wide back just about where one's bottom is in the saddle.

I asked her if she thought Mouse would change shape when she slimmed
down and the lady didn't seem to think so.

Mmmm, she said, Mouse'll be difficult to fit... may need to get a
custom saddle made for her...

Mmmm, I thought, knowing that our budget for saddles is limited to
whatever we can get our hands on and that saddles that cost more
than the horse ($400) are out of the question.

Which brings me to my question. How likely is she to change shape?
Logic says that she's plump, so she'll change shape - like Ann says,
she's got fat bits bulging out.

But if that's the case, why would said "equine sports therapist lady"
say otherwise? She comes well recommended and has done extensive
endurance, so she ought to know... but...

So now I'm confused and daren't buy *any* saddle for Mouse (waste of
time - like fitting a saddle to a hippo, only to find out you've got
a buffalo several months later...)

* * *

BTW, Kimberley's saddle is still up for grabs and is a really
nice looking saddle - I believe she's going to Sonoma if anyone
is interested. (sorry Kimberley! and thanks again for dropping
it off for me to try out).

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

http://www.calweb.com/~elsie http://www.calweb.com/~trouble **************************************************************