ridecamp@endurance.net: trail wise mares

trail wise mares

Shoafy@aol.com
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 19:09:52 -0400 (EDT)

: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 16:06:00 -0700
From: "Blankenship, Ann" <ABlankenship@commerce.ca.gov>
To: "'ridecamp'" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Subject: Trail wise Mares

Paddi, I think that ability to find the trail back home is largely a
mare thing. My geldings don't seem to be quite as capable of aways
finding the way home as my mares. If I'm not sure of the way, I can
always throw away the reins and my mares will zoom down the trail, never
missing the turns toward home, even if they've only been on the trail
once. Anybody else have this feeling about mares?

Yes, Ann, I agree absolutely. When I am riding my mare with a friend who
rides a gelding, we always let her choose the trail when we are unsure
(lost!). We tried letting the gelding take a couple of stabs at it but he had
us going in circles. I am thinking this is because mares are in charge of
taking the herd to water and grazing. I love my mares.
Donna in altoona