ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Could I step in ?

Re: Could I step in ?

Susan Evans Garlinghouse (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 10:09:55 -0700

Hi Sigrid,

I've been around endurance for about ten years though due to lack of
time, have only ridden 505 miles plus a handful of LDs. One thing I've
noticed (and maybe some of the "real" experienced folks on the list will
agree) that over the years, the people who ultimately earn the most
respect and regard are the riders who go for years and years and years,
riding the same one or two horses, almost always finishing in great
shape, taking good care of their horse and not making a big deal about
winning this or top tenning that. Or, at least winning is fine, but
it's not as important as making sure the horse will still be going
strong ten years down the road. You will notice this has NOTHING to do
with weight carried, it has to do with brains and savvy.

I AM NOT FLAMING ANYONE WHO CHOOSES TO RACE! If that's your thing, okay
by me. But once you start going to rides, you'll be able to pick out
the people that almost always finish top ten have thousands of AERC
miles, but have gone through fifteen or eighteen horses in the past ten
years. And have been dinged more than a few times for excessive use of
spurs, and are guarenteed to be yelling and screaming about how this
isn't fair and that isn't fair. Yes, they have alot of wins but not
much respect. Then there's other riders that almost never finish above
the middle of the pack, but they're there every weekend on the same
horse, looking fantastic. No wins, no BCs but a ton of miles, a very
high completion rate and a ton of respect. Every now and then a horse
or two comes along that can do both, like Rio--miles, completions, wins
and everyone's respect. Most horses don't fall into that category and
alot of horses break down too early because of owners that insist on
making them perform to that level, anyway.

Don't worry about those who snipe and snarl because this isn't fair and
that isn't fair. The best leveling tool you'll ever need in endurance
is compassion and respect for your horse and the brains to use him and
yourself to your best advantage. The rest is just details.

Just my .02, of course.

Susan