ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Could I step in ?

Re: Could I step in ?

Tina Hicks (hickst@nichols.com)
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 15:20:24 -0500

At 10:55 AM 9/24/97 -0500, SSY wrote:

>My horse and I are still determining what our short comings are, how to
>make them less significant, and where are strengths can be doubled or more
>using our brains. At the top of the list: Soundness for the both of us.
>
>This is a great list. Found my self deleting mail with weight as the
>subject, had to say something. It was causing me to get a warped view of
>endurance riding and riders.
Sigrid, while I see your point we have to be careful about saying "this
doesn't apply to me so let's not discuss it" - it may not apply to you now
at whatever level of riding/not riding you are at now but that doesn't mean
it won't apply to you/others at a later time.

I don't mean just the weight discussion - I mean in general.

At one point last year, I think, there was a huge discussion on what the
goal of endurance riding/racing is, whether it should be called racing at
all, etc etc etc ....The discussion got really esoteric and to me boring as
you know what at the time b/c I thought the same as you - I am in this to
complete, have a good time, end up with a sound, fit horse - this doesn't
apply to me - delete, delete, delete.

Then I placed 4th and came in BC two weeks later at a ride - what I call at
work a "happy accident" :-)

All of a sudden I was one of the "racers" they were talking about and I
could see where both sides were coming from. Riding fast was a helluva lotta
fun - but so was completing. Wait - couldn't I do both -depending on the
ride, conditions, my horse, the moon, or how I'm holding my mouth that day?
Of course I can and so can anyone else.

My point? Discussions - whether you agree or don't agree, whether they apply
or not to you are good for all of us (I won't get into the issue of keeping
it mature in a public forum <g>) - who knows, one day these discussions
about seemingly trivial matters may apply directly to you.

Tina - always up for a good discussion
hickst@nichols.com