ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Heart rates and Eating

Re: Heart rates and Eating

Truman Prevatt (truman.prevatt@netsrq.com)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 17:25:45 -0400

>PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO GUEST@ENDURANCE.NET!!!
>You must post replies to the actual sender listed below.
>
>From: Barb Peck
>Email: bpeck@us.ibm.com
>
>A question for all of you with HRMs.
>
>Does allowing a horse to eat (grass hay) after a 25m CTR ride keep the
>heart rate elevated? I don't mean extremely elevated, but this horse
>started with a 44 pulse and after 25 fairly easy miles his pulse was 56
>1/2 hr after completion. (He was 48bpm at the half way point) He walked in
>the last mile and the day was cool. A more experienced rider said that
>next time, don't let him have any hay, eating keeps the heart rate up.
>Barb

The heart rate will probably stay eleviated while the horse is eating, but
should drop when she stops chewing. There are too many good things that
eating does, like keep the gut moving, to not let them eat for 1/2 hour
after you finish.

My 0.02 dollars
Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm with a lille hellion on the way
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL