ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: weight/posting

RE: weight/posting

Jennifer Heim (JHEIM@gunder.com)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 17:22:33 -0700

What I heard about the advent of posting was from the cavalry to keep up
with the barebacked native americans. The cavalry was able to get an
additional 25 miles a day by posting; but never caught the indians
because the cavalry fed too much grain to their horses.

Urban legend? Truth? Who knows, but it sure is food for thought.

See ya
Jen (boy am I chatty today!)

----------
From: Joe Long[SMTP:jlong@mti.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 1997 9:19 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: weight

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:58:35 -0700, Kimberly Price
<PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> For example, do you post a lot during a
>race to help keep the weight off the horse?

This question was directed at Bob, but I'd like to comment on
this.
It's as much a question as an observation.

I feel that the technique of posting was developed for the
comfort of
the rider, not the horse. As the rider's body is accelerated
upward
every second stride of the horse, and falls back on the
in-between
strides, the horse must be providing the energy for that
acceleration.
Whereas, a rider who maintains his body up out of the saddle at
trot, absorbing the up-and-down motion of the horse by flexing
his
knees, does not place that burden on the horse. Does this make
sense?
What are some other opinions on this?

(Of course, posting is clearly superior to just sitting on the
saddle
bouncing on the horse's back!)

--

Joe Long