ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: horse with chronic "tie up"

Re: horse with chronic "tie up"

Kim (aliakey@geocities.com)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:27:38 -0700

On Sept. 20, 1997, Duncan Fletcher <dfletche@gte.net> wrote:

> I am not sure of the exact protocol, but blood and/or urine tests should be
> able to determine whether it is truly tieing up. I believe there are
> specific breakdown products that are indicative of tieing up (dark colored
> urine, but I am sure a more precise chemical can be looked for) - somebody
> out there must know.
>
> Duncan Fletcher
> dfletche@gte.net

A hypocalcemic horse will usually have plasma calcium concentrations
below 8.0 mg/dl, or 2.0 mmol/L. Hypomagnesia usually occurs at or below
1.9 mg/dl. This, along with the symptoms and history of the horse can
determine a more accurate diagnosis for you. The dark colored urine is
bad news... hopefully, your horse never gets to this point.

Kim (and 'Lee)