ridecamp@endurance.net: horse with chronic "tie up"

horse with chronic "tie up"

Laney Humphrey (laneyh@mbay.net)
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 09:19:22 -0700

Thanks one and all for your input! I just love this group because everyone
is willing to share ideas and experiences! I'm going to pass all the
suggestions along to the owner.
I failed to mention that the horse lives in central coastal California
where such a thing as grass hay is just about unheard of and its going to
be really hard to even find oat hay this winter because of the rains a year
ago that wiped out the once-a-year crop.
Karin: I think you are thinking along the same track that I am - it is not
real tie up and could very well be djd somewhere. The chiropractor who
treated the horse diagnosed a hip imbalance and recommended corrective
shoeing for that but your description of your husband's mare makes me think
that there may be something going on in some joint after all the miles this
horse has given his rider. Especially if he has been compensating for an
imbalance. I'll strongly suggest joint supplements.
Thanks again, everyone, for all your input. I'll keep you posted. This
is a wonderful horse - the kind that makes us proud to be owners of Arabs.
He deserves to be helped.
Happy trails, Laney