ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Falling off, tuck and roll and other survival methods

Re: Falling off, tuck and roll and other survival methods

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 00:17:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Ann Hatfield wrote:

> As an adult going back to riding lessons I was quite surprised and a little
> indignant to be asked to practice falling off (jumping off and landing on
> my feet, actually.) Humph, thought I. Do I really need this? I haven't
> come off for years.

The reason for "practicing falling off" is not just because you might
"come off" but also because "coming off" might just be the right thing to
do. I tell my students that what we are practicing is called the
"emergency dismount" (aka, bailing off). Somtimes the best thing is for
you and your horse to part company, according to your plan, rather than
just by accident.

If you can land on your feet when you do this, so much the better. But it
is also OK to land on your ass....just so long as you picked a good spot.
:)

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. It is also a good way to develop the habit of not getting your feet
too far into the stirrups. _I_ am always ready to bail off. :))