ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: manners (watering hole question)

Re: manners (watering hole question)

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 14:59:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 Phnatasha@aol.com wrote:

> A friend of mine doing a 50 one time came upon a horse and rider in
> trouble... the horse had some how fallen and had the saddle wedged in some
> rocks, so the horse was trapped.. a couple of people stopped to help along
> with my friend... the trail was rather narrow at this point.. several riders
> charged on thru and verbally abused the "helpers" for blocking the trail...
> The horse in trouble was obvious... not a hidden matter... eventually they
> were able to release the saddle and free the horse...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute here.

If I understand you correctly, there were already 4 people (and their
horses???) stopped on the trail at a "rather narrow" point. More people
(and horses) stopped at such a point would hardly be "helping" at all.
The appropriate thing to do in such a situation would be to continue on
and get out of the way. To have added more horses and riders stopped on a
narrow trail with a horse in distress would have merely added to the
melee.

And depending on how the "you're blocking the trail" was addressed, it may
have been exactly the appropriate thing to say. Such as "you have three
horses blocking a narrow part of the trail here on a blind curve and there
will be many horses coming along here at speed, one would hate for this to
cause an additional accident at exactly the same spot...."

You get my drift. I'm not saying that this is the case, just saying that
it is a possibility.

It is not all together unlike a bunch of well meaning people stopping at a
car accident who in reality have no ability to help and end up as voyeurs
that achieve nothing but causing a traffic jam. One of the first things
that police officers do at an accident scene is to keep the rest of the
traffic moving and getting as many of the participants in the accident out
of the way.

There is a natural inclination for all people to want to help, but
sometimes the best help that latecomers on the scene can do is to proceed
down the trail.

kat
Orange County, Calif.