ridecamp@endurance.net: Locking in the stifle

Locking in the stifle

WWArabsrun@aol.com
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 21:47:04 -0400 (EDT)

Does any one else have a horse that occasionally locks in his stifle?
This
little guy has done it for years,sometimes not at all for 50 miles, and
then
other times he will do it 5-10 times in 25 miles. I just
wondered(surgery is
not an option) if anyone else had this problem and/or suggestions on
handling
it. I have been told by several vets that it is not painful but that is
hard
to believe.

amy whelan>
> Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 21:47:04 -0400 (EDT)
> From: WWArabsrun@aol.com
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Locking in the stifle
>
> Does any one else have a horse that occasionally locks in his stifle? This
> little guy has done it for years,sometimes not at all for 50 miles, and then
> other times he will do it 5-10 times in 25 miles. I just wondered(surgery is
> not an option) if anyone else had this problem and/or suggestions on handling
> it. I have been told by several vets that it is not painful but that is hard
> to believe.
>
> amy whelan

Your right Amy, you donot have an option surgery is the only out! His
condition comes from a congential defect in anatomy of the patella
groove. I described the anatomical defect in an earlier post. I feel
sorry for the little guy. Please have his medial patella ligament cut.
It is done standing rountinely under a local anesthetic with
tranquilization.
Carl Meyer D.V.M.