ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #592

Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #592

carl meyer (carlmey@citrus.infi.net)
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 21:48:45 +0000

> o: ridecamp@endurance.net, ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: Bob Morris;best condition discussion
>
> since my horse is doing considerable more work ( work is a measure
> of weight moved over a particular distance, i.e. amount of calories
> expended
> over time).
>
> I'd like to comment here. What about the weight of the horse himself?
> I've always thought that should be taken into consideration, as so many
> people recognize that a "big" horse has a disadvantage. But where is that
> issue addressed in the best condition criteria? It isn't. While I realize
> it is not practical to weigh each horse, we could at least use a weight
> tape and get an estimate, couldn't we? (btw, I almost never top ten so it
> isn't an issue for me personally, just think it's worth discussing.)
>
> Patty

Patty,
The weight of the horse comes into play in the metabolic exam. Your
weight comes into play as it causes the horse to use energy which causes
the metabolic parameters to go up. It makes no difference how much your
horse weighs unless the muscle mass produces so much energy that the
heat produced cannot be expelled. This is the reason that Arabians go
through Vet Checks faster than Thoroughbreds as their muscle mass
produecs less heat than the thoroughbreds.
Carl Meyer D.V.M.