ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Best Condition poll

Re: Best Condition poll

Mike Sofen (miksof7@gte.net)
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 21:56:35 -0700

Linda,
I take the exact opposite approach. I think that a horse that's ridden
fast AND smart is the basis of the whole sport. Without the BC and making
it important, people would focus solely on time/speed and drive their
horses into the ground. By making BC a valuable prize to shoot for, more
riders will visualize the "smart" aspect of the ride instead of the speed
and ride a better race.

And I'll go one step further. I'd like to see, and maybe even help find
sponsors
for, a new prize/award thing that goes ONLY to horse and riders that
place first on time AND are also BC. Make it a decent cash prize and
maybe a trophy, not some horse item that most people already own. At least
enough to cover the entry fees, and maybe enough to cover the winning
rider's expenses. This would surely encourage both competition and smart
riding.

In my first race, the Bully Wully(25) two weeks ago, my new horse and I
finished 10th and got BC. To say I'm still on Cloud Nine is an
understatement. And my BC only reinforces my focus on training and riding
smart, because I expect to ride this horse for a long, long, time.

Comments?

Mike Sofen
Seattle, WA