ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Urgent Virus Alert!

Re: Urgent Virus Alert!

D Bosma (dlbosma@iserv.net)
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 17:08:59 -0400

It is just the same as the boy who cried wolf. People say it over and over
as a flase alarm and when it does come people will ignore it.But thanks
anyway for caring.
----------
sassykins@juno.com; LallaM@aol.com; sidhg@aol.com;
ponies@foothills.eznet.com; stepnout@swva.net; PasoVasz@aol.com;
vwheeler@mail.tds.net; EDB116@aol.com; CarylBP@prodigy.net;
jsnyder@td2cad.intel.com; hosp@mindspring.com; LRKWriter@aol.com;
karakat@spiritone.com; equest@hotmail.com; kbaird@roanoke.infi.net;
Phnatasha@aol.com; JJfxtrot32@aol.com; mcop7345@mercury.gc.peachnet.edu;
ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Urgent Virus Alert!
> Date: Wednesday, September 03, 1997 10:36 PM
>
> You may have already heard about this, but it's one of those things I'd
> rather be warned about several times, than not at all.
>
> Lou came home with a printed copy of this warning that's evidently was
> circulated at GE on Thursday, August 28th. I'll copy the warning
verbatum,
> dropping only the forwarding carrots (>).
>
> Warning!!!!! If you receive an e-mail titled "JOIN THE CREW" DO
NOT
> OPEN IT!!
> It will erase EVERYTHING on your hard drive! Send this letter out to as
> many people as you can... This is a new virus and not many people know
about it!
> This information was received this morning from IBM, please share it with
> anyone that might access the Internet.
> Also, If anyone received mail entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!" please delete
it
> WITHOUT reading it!! This is a warning for all Internet users - there is
> dangerous virus propagating across the Internet through an e-mail message
> entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!"
> DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY MESSAGE ENTITLED "PENPAL GREETINGS"!!
> This message appears to be a friendly letter asking you fi you are
> interested in a penpal, but by the time you read this letter, it is too
> late. The "trojan horse" virus will have already infected the boot
sector
> of your hard drive, destroying all of the data present. It is a
> self-replicating virus, and once the message is read, it will
AUTOMATICALLY
> forward itself to anyone who's e-mail address is present in YOUR mailbox!
> This virus will DESTROY your hard drive, and holds the potential to
DESTROY
> the gard drive of anyone whose mail is in your in-box, and who's mail is
in
> their in-box, and so on. If this virus keeps getting passed, it has the
> potential to do a great deal of DAMAGE to computer networks worldwide!!
> Please, delete the message entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!" as soon as you
see
> it! And pass this message along to all of your friends, relatives and
the
> other readers of the newsgroups and mialing lists which you are on so
that
> they are not hurt by this dangerous virus!!
> Please pass this along to everyone you know so this can be stopped.
> PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS!!! WARNING!!!!
> Thesre is a new virus going around in the last couple of days!!! DO NOT
> open or even look at any mail that you get that says "Returned or Unable
> Deliver" This virus will attach itself to your computer components and
> render them useless. Immediately delete any mail items that says this.
AOL