ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Dodge Diesel

Re: Dodge Diesel

Brent Seufert (Brent.Seufert@pipe.nova.ca)
Wed, 03 Sep 1997 11:23:57 -0600

At 06:58 PM 9/2/97 EDT, benamil@juno.com (David Bennett) wrote:
>I heard of a incident very similar to yours this past year. They were
>pulling a 3-horse GN with living quarters. The transmission died. Had a
>tow pulling the rig - no horses, thank goodness - and had the rig come
>loose from the tow truck. Totalled the rig.
>
>The general idea is that, although the Dodge diesel is wonderful, the
>automatic transmission is a disaster waiting to happen!

I certainly appreciate the original message pointing to the recall on the
automatic transmission fluid line connector. Going to get it fixed at my
next servicing next week. However, without going into driving preferences
of automatic vs standard, what other evidence/problems are there to warrant
the statement "the automatic transmission is a disaster waiting to happen!".
I've gone 50,000 miles in one year pulling a load (gooseneck) that always
approaches the maximum towing limit of the vehicle without a hickup from the
powertrain. If there are other documented serious problems with the
automatic, I'd like to know about them before something happens!

Brent Seufert
Calgary, Alberta