ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: stretches (Knee Blow Out)

Re: stretches (Knee Blow Out)

Jeff & Bambi Forbes (forbes@vail.net)
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 07:53:44 -0600

Elisa wrote:
> A couple people asked about specific stretches for dealing with tight
> quads, <snip>
> What I do is pretty simple. I lie on the floor face down with one leg
> straight. I then bend the other leg so that my heal almost touches my
back
> side. I use both hands to reach around and apply some downward pressure
> until I feel a good stretch in the quadriceps muscles. The key is to do
> this slowly and hold it for a couple minutes. I do this a couple times
with
> each leg. In my case it really hurts my quads but if I am doing it right.
> CAUTION - you shouldn't feel any strain on the knee or anywhere else if
you
> are doing this correctly. Stop immediately if you feel pain or twisting
on
> your knees. It can also help to have a second person putting the pressure
> on your leg while it's bent back because since it can be hard to get the
> correct position by yourself.

To add to this (and I am not a professional either) in the yoga pose
similar to this, as you pull the foot toward your butt, also press your hip
on the same side down into the floor. This increases the stretch ever so
slightly but makes a big difference. Don't forget to keep breathing since
the tendency with the strain of a stretching muscle is to hold your breath.

Also it may help to protect your back if you pull only with the arm on the
bent leg side, and rest the head on the other arm. (Please know I am not
correcting, but just adding some yoga type info!) Also in yoga they stress
the importance of "counterposes" so you might want to follow with a forward
bend to stretch the hamstrings. Sit on the floor with strong straight
legs, and bend forward from the hip (not the waist) with a long straight
back.

Hope this helped :-)

Bambi