ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Slant Load Story

RE: Slant Load Story

Connie Hoge (pvtevt@classic.msn.com)
Wed, 27 Aug 97 17:48:09 UT

Tracy,

Yea, think you're right - I'm one of those people who "like" to worry, &
hate
it! I dread every time we take the horses somewhere, & say my prayers
for a
safe trip, & return home.

My husband had to slam on the brakes "big time" last May. A little boy
about
4 yrs. old decided to try to cross a busy highway. The smoke from our
brakes
rolled higher in the air than the top of the camper on our truck. I was
in
front of him, driving his company truck - & was locking them up too.
Butch
said he could just see himself coming into my rear end, & pushing me
into the
child.

Thank God when I hit the horn, the boy turned my direction & stopped.
(He was
holding a dandilion, & looking the opposite direction when I'd rounded
the
curve, saw him, & watched him step out.) It's frozen in my mind
forever.
After we "slid" by, he stepped out in front of our friend Pat, pulling
her
rig, but - though she couldn't see around us - she's had sufficent time
to get
stopped. We had only been doing 45!

This all happened less than 3 mi. from home. I was shaking so hard I
could
hardly walk. The horses were violently thrown forward, but it was an
EVEN
pressure. Both walked out without even a bruise.

Connie H.