ridecamp@endurance.net: FW: Severe dehydration in horses

FW: Severe dehydration in horses

Steph Teeter (step@fsr.com)
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:11:12 -0700 (PDT)

Kirsten, I'm forwarding your message to the endurance
listserve, Ridecamp. There are people on this list more
qualified to answer your questions than me.

Steph Teeter

-----Original Message-----
From: Six6SixElf@aol.com [SMTP:Six6SixElf@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 1997 5:42 AM
To: step@fsr.com
Subject: Severe dehydration in horses

Hello!! I need some help. There are four horses that I know who recently
(within the past 4 weeks) were denied of water for 3 or 4 days. Their metal
water tank was accidentally "hooked up" to the electric fencing (new fencing
was going up), so whenever they went to attempt to drink, they were shocked.

Because their owner and usual caretaker was away, for some reason the
temporary caretaker did not take notice of the situation. Thus, the horses
were almost dead when their owner returned! She had four vets come out and
treat them; one for each horse. None of them died, but were in quite a state
for a few days. They wouldn't drink out of ANY WATER CONTAINER... so they
were bottle-watered. Eventually, we taught them that it was ok to drink from
small buckets, and so on.... they're perfectly fine today.
The question I need to ask you is this: Because these horses were SEVERELY
dehydrated, (and none, miraculously, colicked,) I was wondering what the
short and LONG term effects would be. Should we be concerned about future
work of these horses? Could they possibly have lost muscle (permanently) or
other bodily parts or functions? The owner is VERY concerned, and I'm the
one who has access to the internet! Thank you very much for your time, and I
hope that you can provide me with some kind of information.

KRISTEN :)