ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Premarin

Re: Premarin

Jessica Tuteur (jessicat@napanet.net)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:41:09 -0700

The article I saw was in t THE HORSE. It said they had done a study and
visited a large precentage of the barns in Canada.

The barns were clean, and much was being done to improve the "herd" aspect
of the horses living arrangements i.e. all the horses faced each other
across a big trough FULL of hay so they would be able to socialize and not
get bored. It also stressed that the industry is trying to breed to better
stalions because they have realized that they can sell the foals for much
more to riders than to the slaughterhouses.

The article definitely debunked a lot of the horrors we have all heard about
the PMU barns. Whether it is all true or not, we would need to go and see
for ourselves.

I still would not take Premarin and encourage everyone I know, rider or not,
to take alternatives.

If anyone wants a copy of the article let me know and I will dig it out.

Jessica

At 10:52 PM 8/14/97 UT, you wrote:
>I know I saw an article, maybe in Western Horseman a few months ago, regarding
>a farm with draft mares that were put to this use. The article stressed the
>cleanliness, turnout time the mares had, & led me to believe that this
>practice was OK. The article was accompanied with pictures & the whole
>operation looked very "humane".
>
>Did anyone else see it? I take it this was the exception - not the rule!
>Connie H.

Jessica Tuteur
J-M Ranch
1393 Green Valley Rd.