ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: electrolyte question

Re: electrolyte question

tina hicks (hickst@nichols.com)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 07:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

At 12:16 PM 8/11/97 -0700, Lauren Stocchetti wrote:

>I have been to the archives and I am still not sure that I understand all
>that I need to.
joing the club :-)

Firstly, do you give electrolytes to a horse that is doing
>a 25 miler or a 50 miler? Personally, I feel better if I do.
well, like everything else the definitive answer is _it depends_ :-) on your
horse, the weather, etc......I would definitely say there are times when 25
milers need them.....

>Anyway, my mare (The Witch) absolutely, positively refuses to allow me to
>use the syringe type of electrolytes anymore.
can you work on that? what does she do? put her head waaayyy up? is it just
mouth will be fooled with several times at a ride when the vet checks
capillary refill (can't remember if you said you'd already done a ride or
not).....If you can convince her to let you syringe that is the best way I
think - that way you *know* she's getting them AND you can give them
anytime. Let's say you're on a 50 miler and have a 20 mile loop - well you
don't have to wait till you get back to camp - you could give them partway
thru the loop by syringe....

Soooo, I thought I would get
>the type that you mix with feed and hopefully she would eat it and the
>problem would be solved.
there are some horses that gladly gobble them up but I would not rely on
that as the _only_ way to get them in her - what if she's just not eating
grain the day of the ride? or distracted or you have to wait in a long vet
and line and there's not much time for her to eat?

She is out on pasture and does not need
>anything additional.
yet another reason to be able to syringe the electrolytes :-)

Can you use this type of supplement on an 'as needed'
>basis and will it "do the job?"
yes you use them on an as needed basis - theories vary tho as to how long
before and after they need to be administered....