ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: 4yo and His Tom Thumb

Re: 4yo and His Tom Thumb

Mike Sofen (miksof7@gte.net)
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 20:40:31 -0700

I mistakenly had a "professional" trainer work on my gelding for 2 weeks,
to give him some finesse and extra training that I didn't have time for at
that time. Those two weeks cost me months of re-training.

The reason I knew it was going wrong was when this quiet, sensible horse
started doing exactly what yours is doing - lifting nose to the wind on a
distinct cue to rate to the horse in front, or to slow down, at any gait
while behind another horse.

It turns out the trainer had been really jerking on his mouth in an attempt
to get a sliding stop. What I've done to correct this has now taken 3
months, and we're only halfway done.

Essentially, your horse is trying to remove the pressure of the bit when
he's being told to do something he doesn't want to do. Tiedowns work on
the symptom but don't fix the problem, as you noted. A stronger bit will
pull his head down but still not fix the problem.

The problem is, the horse is not giving to pressure. With my horse, I went
all the way back to ground zero. I spent a weekend at a colt restarting
clinic and then spent a week continuing that groundwork. At the end of
that week, my horse was a changed horse. I started riding him in the rope
halter we were training in, using a mecate for reins and lead.

Since he now knew what pressure on his nose meant, he rode trails in the
rope halter as easily as could be. He will now rate most of the time and
allow separation. I say he's halfway there because once in a while I still
have to use more pressure than I should (a pound or two instead of a couple
onces), AND, most importantly, the lesson I was trying to teach him was to
give to the bit.

What I've found is that the rope halter training "sets up" the bit
training. Now when I ride this guy in a snaffle, I can use FAR less
pressure, and he is no longer raising his nose to escape the pressure. I
do all of the snaffle training in the arena (or track), until I am certain
he has it down cold. Reason? If he blows up on the trail and I have to
jerk on his mouth then I've ruined the whole thing and have to start over.
He remembers the bad experience for quite a while.

So, in the arena, I work on "soft gives", which are done in the saddle
while the horse is standing, take both reins, and apply light pressure to
both reins. When he "gives" to that pressure by dropping his head, then
immediately release, and it has to be instantaneous. Repeat it a dozen
times. Now do it at a walk. Never increase the pressure. If he walks
through it, fine. Go back to standing soft gives. Keep going from there.
It all builds on that foundation. Eventually, he will have forgotten that
bits piss him off. Work the soft gives at a trot and eventually at a
lope. This could take a few months, but you're only going to do maybe 10
minutes at a time.

This stuff is standard natural horse type training, I haven't made any of
it up myself, I'm not a great rider, nor do I train horses for a living.
What I do well, I think, is listen to what the horse is telling me. I'm
getting more adept at telling when he is unhappy with a piece of gear.

And I do want to clarify - I have nothing against curb bits. My experience
and intuition tell me that they are unnecessary when the rider has the time
to re-tune the horse to a softer way of going. And when the rider
understands how powerful they are, then the chance of overuse is minimized.
My strong opinions on curbs in general come from seeing average or novice
riders who are still afraid of losing control use them to keep their own
fear under control.

Mike Sofen
Seattle, WA