ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Vosals...& Bits, etc.

Re: Vosals...& Bits, etc.

Mike Sofen (miksof7@gte.net)
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 20:58:52 -0700

A curb bit without a curb strap has nearly zero effect on the horse - all
you've got is a giant slab of metal sitting on their nearly insensitive
bars (gums). The curb strap allows the application of leverage that
squeezes the bit down onto the bars - upward pressure from the strap and
downward pressure of the bit. The longer the bit arms, the higher the
leverage.

The problem, and it's a philosophical one, is that like Bob Morris pointed
out, a bit isn't supposed to be used for control, it's supposed to be used
for cueing. Putting a curb bit on a horse that has control problems just
makes for dominance by pain instead of partnership. There are very few
horses that can't learn to be ridden in the lightest of snaffle bits or
even just a plain rope halter.

I have a special situation right now, where I'm converting a racing arab to
an endurance mount. He was taught to hold the bit in his teeth - he
actually chews on it, and apparently, PULLING on the bit was part of the
signal to GO. He is very backwards in this regard. So I'm doing a
combination of riding him in a rope halter to get him responding to
pressure, and on separate sessions in a very light snaffle, where he starts
to get used to a more conventional way of going.

However, he's still not happy with the bit in his mouth, so I've ordered
one of light english hackamores from RunningBear, and will be trying that
this coming week. No matter what though, I'm not substituting pain for a
lack of training.

Mike Sofen
Seattle, WA