ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Standardbreds

Re: Standardbreds

Gina (epona@xtalwind.net)
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 17:56:08 -0400 (EDT)

At 13:44 08/08/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Gina wrote:
>
>>they do have a tendency to be a bit longer in the back because remember they
>>are bred for speed in harness ; along with this anomaly is the tendency for
>>many of them to be higher in the rear than in the withers..
>

>I find this to be a gross generalization of the breed. Not only did I never
>notice this to be the case, I would say it is the oddity in the breed.
>
>If you had read the post clearly it says there is a TENDENCY. While this
TENDENCY maybe more
PREVALENT in some families than others, the horses that I looked at were
heavily inbred horses and many of them were still racing sound at 10 years
old. I hardly think that this is a growth spurt at 10 years old. A breeder
told me many of the Old "Orange County " horses were like this ...the reason
being these old timers felt a longer hind leg gave a horse increased
propulsion. Now this all may be pile of rubbish as stockmen have a
shortsighted desire to *improve* their breeds according to the fashion of
the day. I have seen it with more breeds that I care to admit and suspect
you have too. I never once stated that this was true of the ENTIRE breed.

Any
>horse in growth spurts will sometimes grow faster behind and then the front
>end will catch up. Maybe that is why you recall this about the "famous
>horse", STB's are heavily campaigned in their 3 and 4 year old years, so
>that is when the really good ones are the MOST FAMOUS, the good ones are out
>to stud or breeding by 5. Which is why you may notice this type of growth
>pattern since those are also heavy growth years. The aged horses I've cared
>for, and they have been many, were conformationally correct. As for longer
>backs, that may be the case, but I don't think with this breed it is a
>hinderance. After all you don't HAVE to have a short backed arab to do this
>sport! Just my .02 worth:}
>
>Sorry I disagree a long back is an inherently weak back whatever breed it
is.... now an individual may have other attributes that will make you still
consider its merits . But the closer any individual regardless of breed
comes to the ideal form to function the less likely you are going to be of
breakdowns in THIS sport or any other.