ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Standardbreds

Re: Standardbreds

Cheryl Newbanks (horsetrails@inficad.com)
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 13:44:08 -0700 (MST)

Gina wrote:

>they do have a tendency to be a bit longer in the back because remember they
>are bred for speed in harness ; along with this anomaly is the tendency for
>many of them to be higher in the rear than in the withers..

I find this to be a gross generalization of the breed. Not only did I never
notice this to be the case, I would say it is the oddity in the breed. Any
horse in growth spurts will sometimes grow faster behind and then the front
end will catch up. Maybe that is why you recall this about the "famous
horse", STB's are heavily campaigned in their 3 and 4 year old years, so
that is when the really good ones are the MOST FAMOUS, the good ones are out
to stud or breeding by 5. Which is why you may notice this type of growth
pattern since those are also heavy growth years. The aged horses I've cared
for, and they have been many, were conformationally correct. As for longer
backs, that may be the case, but I don't think with this breed it is a
hinderance. After all you don't HAVE to have a short backed arab to do this
sport! Just my .02 worth:}
Cheryl Newbanks
~~^** Just In Time Ranch
~~}_ _~~ /\| Buckeye, AZ