ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Standing in Stirrups

Re: Standing in Stirrups

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Sun, 03 Aug 1997 20:10:14 GMT

On Sun, 03 Aug 1997 11:17:34 -0500, Lance Rosedale <rosdahl@sonic.net>
wrote:

> I had done my
>first 25m ride standing almost the entire way at an extended trot, and
>was advised by many that too much of either standing/extended trot is
>hard on the horse. I had done this because I thought extended trot was
>good, and I found it really hard to post my horse's extended trot. =20

If done properly, I don't see how "standing" at the trot would be hard
on the horse.

I spend most of the time that I'm in a trot on a ride doing this,
although I prefer to think of it as "floating." That is, I'm up out
of the saddle, my body is moving along level (not rising and falling)
and my knees are flexing to accomodate the up-and-down motion of the
horse. It's very similar to the action of skiing over uneven snow
(which is in fact where I first learned to do it).

As my body mass is not being accelerated upwards, then falling back
only to have its downward motion arrested and re-accelerated upwards
(as is true of posting), I believe this should be *less* stressful to
the horse.

It certainly worked for Kahlil and me.

Re the extended trot: I never used much of this, as Kahlil didn't
have a good extended trot. At any speed over about 12 MPH (depending
on terrain) he cantered. As the trot extends there will be a point at
which it is more stressful than cantering.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net
Business Page http://www.mti.net