ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: easyboots exclusively?

Re: easyboots exclusively?

Niccolai Murphy (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:25:42 -0700

AFA@co.clark.nv.us wrote:

> I will not be riding my mare as much as I have been so I am thinking
> about
> having her shoes pulled and letting her go barefoot. She does have a
> history of problems with soreness from rock bruising in the front
> hooves.
> I do still want to take her on leisurely trail rides mainly at the
> walk. I was
> thinking about using easyboots only no steel shoes. Can I do this?

What you are planning should work, she may not even need easyboots
depending on amount of riding.

> Also, if I do, how often will I need the farrier to come out to trim
> her feet?

Somewhere between 8 to 12 weeks. Start at 12 weeks and see how it works
out. It depends on how she is kept, stalled, turned out etc.

> How much should a trim only cost?

I pay 15 per horse for trims (here in So Cal) but mileage will vary.

> Do farriers usually do this kind of job?

Yes. Mine does.

> Or do they expect to put shoes on when they come out?

No. Mine does not.

> Should I put the easyboots on all four feet?

Only use what you have to, if you can get away without any go ahead and
do that. She might be a little tender the first month or so and the
hooves may break out, particularly on the sides and look awful, but this
is normal.

> And should I remove them immediately after
> every ride?

Yes, typically, though you can leave them on for three or four days
without ill effect (personal experience, no foam - others may have gone
longer).

> Should I put the easyboots on if I just hand walk her around
> the area, this is desert terrain and asphalt mainly.

If you can get away with it. Try and see.

> Can I remove the steel shoes she currently has on myself, if so how?

Yes but you need a certain amount of strength and some tools. Probably
cheaper to just have your ferrier come out and pull them and trim them
at the same time.

To remove the shoes you need a puller, possibly a hammer, pliers and a
file or cinch cutter, and a reasonably strong back...

1. Cut or file away the cinches (where the nails are bend over on the
out side of the hoof). Make sure that you have filed away all of the
cinch.

2a. Now you have a choice, I usually just pull the shoe off, but there
is a knack so that you don't damage the hoof and you need some strength.
The alternative takes longer but does not require the same amount of
strength and doesn't carry as much risk of damage to the hoof....

2b. Pull the shoe a 1/4 inch away from the hoof all around.

3b. Tap the shoe, but not the nails, back onto the hoof with a hammer.
Leaving the nails to protrude from the shoe by 1/4 inch.

4b. Now pull each nail out with the pliers. The shoe drops off when you
pull the last nail out.

Finally smooth off all sharp edges on the edge of the hoof to avoid
injuries.

Caveat emptor - I'm no expert!!!!

Nicco

--