ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: My Tevis Story - skinny horses

Re: My Tevis Story - skinny horses

Niccolai Murphy (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:43:59 -0700

Victoria A Thompson wrote:

> Big, little, picture-postcard, butt-ugly, fat, anorexic, calm, hyper,
> red, gray, black, brown, even a dyed blue one (his tail). Kooter fell
> into the big, picture-postcard, fat, calm, red group. The number of
> anorexic - my term for horses who's owners are starving them to death
> - horses I saw was not as alarming as I've seen before. I would say
> most of the horses were well rounded (fat) for endurance horses. In
> the words of Martha Stewart, "This is a good thing."

A word of caution. Don't judge, too harshly, the owners of skinny
horses. You can see most, possibly all of Hal's ribs but we are most
definitely not starving the fellow. Each horse is an individual, just as
we are. I eat triple what my collegues eat but remain an unfashionably
skinny dude, ribs showing and all, sans effort, while they fight the
flab in the gym.

Hal, for example, has free feed hay (choice of Bermuda, Oat, Alfafa,
Orchard) which he eats 30 pounds a day, 3 pounds of carrots, 4 pounds of
grain, 5 pounds of apples, probiotics, daily wormer and a dose of
vitamins. You couldn't stuff more into the critter without an explosion.
The other two horses eat less hay and don't get any grain or probiotics
but get fat never the less!

Nicco

--
Open the pod bay door please Hal.