ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Ques about saddle for high wither narrow back

Re: Ques about saddle for high wither narrow back

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 14:22:27 -0700

Robert C. Griffith wrote:

> My 4 YO arab gelding is high withered and a little slab sided. The > Wintec regular tree pro endurance I used w/o problems on the mare is > too wide for him. I see ads for "semi QH bars" which I think equate to "regular tree".
>My question is does anyone know
> a model that is advertised to fit a horse as I described?

Hook Saddlery of Kalispell, Montana has an excellent saddle aimed at the
horse you described. It fit my old mare (slab sides & high, boney
withers) like a custom-made saddle would. I have a Hook that is almost
18 years old that has held up wonderfully. It is a "western Style" (no
horn, rounded single skirt, lots of extra rings,) endurance saddle in
Hermann Oak leather & real fleecing on the under side (not synthetic!).
The dropped rigging is GREAT - it can be adjusted from a full to a
centerfire position with 2 loops and a buckle to adjust, They are
reasonably priced at around $1100 when I checked about 1 1/2 years ago.

We just moved, so I haven't unpacked their phone number, but they should
be listed under the Kalispell phone directory.

Good luck finding a saddle!

Linda Flemmer
Bruceton Mills, WV