ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Bowed Tendons

Re: Bowed Tendons

Niccolai Murphy (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 09:00:29 -0700

ORIONTRAN1@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have any personal experience with this type of injury? If
> so,
> what can I expect.... and when? I realize every injury may be
> different, but
> any input would be appreciated.

My personal experience has to do with my neighbour's mare. She has bows
in both fronts, probably from gymkana riding in her early years. Her
last bow occured 4 years ago (I was riding her on a trail when I noticed
her go lame - carried that old western saddle two miles home). Both legs
have a swelled look and since the increase in diameter is due to scar
tissue it will never go away. Our neighbour came out with me hoping to
take this mare (now 14) on a slow and easy 25. After a month of benign
training she went very slightly off. We rested her up for a couple of
weeks and took her out for a short walk and she was still slightly off.
The vet thinks that some adhesions of the scar tissue broke loose
causing some soreness and recommended that the horse not be ridden on
long rides. Around here ten miles is a very long way for most horses.
Unfortunately this is one of those mares that goes loopy when her
buddies go out without her, so she's just as likely to come to harm
being left at home, and that's probably exactly what happened. The vet
seems to blame it on the comformation of her pasterns and says that she
must have some Paso in her. Quite frankly she looks like a QH, rides
like a QH and for my money is one.

Recovery from these injuries must have some relationship to how fit the
athelete is and what therapy is undertaken. Look at those human
atheletes who come back racing four months after a torn ACL, when anyone
else would still be recovering a year later.

--
Open the pod bay door please Hal.