ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Power walk

Re: Power walk

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:12:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Bonnie Snodgrass wrote:

> Walking hills is a marvelous way to build muscles in the hindquarters
> and back. However, be sure that you're horse has head and neck
> reaching out and down with back raised as you march up those hills.

No, no, no, if your horse has his head and neck out and DOWN when going up
hill he will NOT be using his hindquarters at all. He will be towning
himself up the hill with his forehand. To get the horse to use its
hindquarters you must RAISE the forehand (i.e. head and neck UP). To keep
the horse from hollowing its back, you must keep the horse's NOSE down.

You do not, however, acheive this "raising" for the forehand by pulling
the nead and neck up (i.e. don't pull the horse's head up with your hands)
but rather you want to "push" the hindquarters under the horse using your
seat and your legs, while at the same time keeping the horse "on the bit"
(as in, neither above nor behind the bit).

Kris, trailer on out to my place and I can show you how its done (I've got
some great hills to do it on too!) We can both go out on our TB mares.

And if you do it right then your saddle won't slip either.

kat
Orange County, Calif.