ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: portable corrals

Re: portable corrals

DreamWeaver (karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us)
Tue, 01 Jul 1997 22:23:53 -0700

At 09:43 PM 7/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Tracy Stampke wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of the downside of electic corrals.....

There are definitely pros and cons to every system of containing a horse.
If you do use an electric fence, you must make sure your horse is suitable
for such confinement. Some horses don't do well in electric corrals.

I'd have to say that in my experience I've seen horses hurt worse in the
(metal) corral panels.

Remember, when you use an electric fence you not only have to make sure
your horse will stay inside, but you have to worry about other horses
running loose and possibly into or thru your corral. Try and set the fence
up so it is tucked away in a safe (as possible) place and not right in the
center of everything.

We just recently set up the corral panels so that we can put a hot wire all
around the top. Now we have the benefits of both systems - the horses
won't dare touch the metal panels. The reason why I don't like the metal
panels is because the horses do like to rub on them and that really makes a
racket at night. They sure do set up fast, which is nice...sometimes it's
not easy to drive in that grounding rod or the posts to set up the electric
fence.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville