ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: pulse problems

Re: pulse problems

Frank Mechelhoff (fmechelh@c-s-k.de)
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:40:05 +0200

Katherine J. Brunjes wrote:

> You didn't mention if you were administering electrolytes before,
> during,
> and after the rides - or if your horse's mucous membranes were ok
> during
> vet checks

Hi Kathy and everyone,

my rule of thumb (or should I say *goal*) is, avoid sweating as far as
possible. The rides are not so hot here. I try to administer
electrolytes before and after a *long* ride, but have problems with
accepting. I suppose I doesn't touch the area where loss of electrolytes
is an important issue. This is surely true for last Sundays ride which
was really SLOW (but long). The actual blood-test from the last
competition showed neither dehydration nor Natrium-deficiency. Also
mucous membranes were OK during the ride.

> - selenium deficiency with electrolyte imbalance was a problem
> that my Arab mare had when she first started out in endurance (along
> with
> a heart murmur), which would give us high pulses at the end of a 50
> mile
> ride (didn't seem to bother until we would do the last hold, or
> gate-into-a hold on a 2-day 100 mile) - then she would hand at 68-72
> for
> 60 minutes (and of course, be eliminated from the ride) when all else
> was
> perfect on her - it took some playing around with electrolyte mixtures
> and
> dosing, with advice from a ride vet (who also is an equine
> cardiologist -
> thanks Meg!) before we got the ride combination, and now I never have
> worry about her pulses, recoveries, etc. (now if I could only keep her
>
> sound.....!)

This is another case, because Ligeira used to have no problems and now I
experience a harsh setback in performance and don't know what it caused,
even no what has been changed since. It's quite interesting.

Even the dropping analysis was negative, by the way (someone asked for
that), both for parasites and single-cell-zoons (term?).

There are quite enough things what I have NOT tested still, and what I
could do.
I asked my vet for a thyroid test (because so many of you treated
against thyroid deficiency, and I read it at Tom Ivers). My vet answered
me if the horse is thyroid deficient, it should becaome FAT (and Ligeira
tends to go thin), therefore T3/T4-test would be a waste of money and
time.
(aside: strange, the horses should react the same way for the same
desease both in USA and Germany).

Also there is a possibility of spiculated red blood cells (impossibility
of long-time peak performance), but the vet said no by means of the last
blood test (and she's a known endurance vet here).

Hm, even if I usually trust science and research well more , I'm not far
apart from consulting some of the "altertnative" healers ... makes me
thoughtful.

Tom, are you out there ??

FRANK