ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: puzzling health problem adendum

Re: puzzling health problem adendum

Anne (scuba@b022.aone.net.au)
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 21:53:35 +1000

karen Clanin wrote:

> I forgot to mention that blood work on this horse is normal.
>
> Karen

Dear Karen

I have a horse which had a cough. Went through much the same as you -
scopes, tracheal washes, penicillin, leotox, genamyacin plus powders
etc. etc. At one time was giving four needles a day. Nothing worked,
spent heaps of $. The horse was still performing well and getting best
conditioned at rides, but still coughing. Vet was stumped, so were we.
Turned him out for 4 months, brought him back in and guess what - still
coughing. Vet virtually wrote him off.

Nothing to me made sense. None of the other horses were affected. To
cut a long story short had a saliva test done in New Zealand. The test
identified 7 chemicals which had somehow been retained in his system and
several of them affected the respiratory system. They sent antedotes
and did several no charge re-tests. Now, six months later he recently
competed in the Tom Quilty 160klm ride carrying 25kg more than normal.
Up to 140klm he was up with the front runners but vetted out with a
minor lameness. Until then he was pulsing lower than the other horses
and NOT COUGHING.

To travel to the ride, we had to have the horses sprayed for ticks at
the NSW border. My mare has been affected by this in the past. I wrote
to New Zealand and they sent me antedotes for the spray and we had no
trouble with the horses at all. Several horses who crossed the border
at the same time as us were sick and unable to start the ride. Several
others were vetted out for metabolic reasons after the first leg. I'm
convinced that the antedotes saved our horses.

The saliva tests don't just test for chemicals but look at the whole
horse, identify muscle problems, chiropractic problems etc. Being an
equine masseur, I have checked this out and everything I have been sent
regarded the muscular system has been correct.

If anyone is having unusual problems I can definitely recommend it. My
gelding would have been retired by now if I hadn't kept looking for
answers. Email me if you want further information.

Anne