ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: New attitude at the Old Dominion

Re: New attitude at the Old Dominion

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 03:11:46 GMT

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 23:36:26 -0400 (EDT), kevin baird
<kbaird@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:

>The Old Dominion has suffered in the past, perhaps justifiably, perhaps
>undeservedly, from some negative perceptions. For those of you who have=
had
>a less than ideal experience and for those of you who have heard ugly
>stories, you must give the Old Dominion another chance.

<snip>

>If you have a bad taste for the Old Dominion because of your own =
experience
>or what you have heard from others, you must give it another try. In
>addition to being the ultimate endurance adventure, it's on the road to
>being a whole NEW endurance adventure. We'll be there every year for =
the
>rest of our lives! =20

This is very good news. In many ways the O.D. has been one of my
favorite rides -- that is, favorite trails and challenges -- that
unfortunately (IMO) suffered from bad management.

After having attended nearly every year for several years, I had a
bitter experience. I was not allowed to start, for a condition that I
am convinced should not have prevented it. I bent over backwards to
satisfy the vets, to no avail. I felt the vet staff at that time was
hostile and adversarial. The upshot was that I never returned. I
couldn't justify trailering 700 miles to possibly face the same
situation again.

So I'm very glad to hear of the changes. This great trail deserves
great management. I don't have a horse at the moment capable of doing
any 100, let alone the O.D. -- but I will, and I *will* ride it again!
The best I ever finished there was second place, and I want a chance
to improve on that ; ^ >

While I'm at it, I'd like to add my congratulations to John Crandell
on his victory, and for his (and the other riders) sacrificing their
lead to re-mark the trail.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net