ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Becky's daughter

Re: Becky's daughter

Terry Woolley Howe (twhowe@inetworld.net)
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:04:10 -0700 (PDT)

At 10:26 PM 6/11/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Many riders who were right behind you guys said it effected them deeply
>and they would never forget the screaming and being unable to stop and
>help on such a narrow, dangerous section of the trail.

Lauren,

One of the things that makes the Mt. Laguna ride so beautiful is the
fact that the majority of the course is on one-horse trails (instead of fire
roads), with some along hillsides with beautiful views. With respect to
this particular portion of the trail: the Bill Stucky/Mt. Laguna Ride has
used this section of trail on and off for the past twenty years. With the
hundreds of riders who have been on this section, this is the first time
there was ever a mishap.

My understanding of what caused the problem (Becky, correct me if I am
wrong) was that Katie had forgotten her saddle. In her enthusiasm to do the
ride, she borrowed a saddle from someone and did not use a breast collar.
As she started up an incline, the saddle slipped back on the horse's flank
and threw Katie and the horse off balance. So while this is a trail that
does require some horsemanship, I don't think the trail was dangerous.

One of the first rules of endurance riding is to never use equipment in
a ride that you have not tried out ahead of time. I'm sure Becky would not
have allowed Katie to use the saddle without a breast collar if she had
known it did not fit her horse properly and would slip back onto the horse's
flank.

There were several people who stopped. Fortunately Katie was sponsored
by her private physican Donald Adema. Donald stayed with Katie. Marsha
Adema ponyed Don's horse to the vet check. Bob Spoor who was riding one of
Jennifer Oltmann's horses, hiked down to get Katie's horse while Jennifer
held his horse. He then ponyed Katie's horse into the vet check. Cherie
Dhaliwal rode back down to where the photographer was to get help that way.
Not knowing whether there was a serious problem with rider and horse, my
husband David (M.D.), the Gary Amaral, one of our vets, drove around from
the other side and hiked in. This was a situation that could have been
very serious, but worked out well. While Katie did not finish the ride, she
got a certificate for $10 off her next ride.

Lauren, thanks again for coming out to help as a volunteer at the vet
checks. The many volunteers we have at our rides is what makes it so
enjoyable for the riders.

Terry Woolley Howe
Manager, Mt. Laguna Ride