ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: 200 gal water tank

Re: 200 gal water tank

Nicco Murphy and Pat Hlavin (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:45:33 -0700

K S Swigart wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Niccolai Murphy wrote:
>
> > gallon, depending on model. By the way do you realize that 200 gals
> of
> > water weighs 1669 pounds? Oooofff.
>
> Is this a typo, a joke, or am I missing something? I thought 200 gals
> of
> water weighed 1,600 lbs (or does it have something to do with density
> at
> sea level??)
>
> I am only being marginally facetious here. Is there really some
> reason
> that it would weight 1669?
>
> kat

It depends on how many decimal places you take g up to - typically two
decimal places in my line of work, but you are right g in actuality
varies according to where you are on the surface of the planet relative
to the equator and center of gravity. You probably weigh fractionally
more in SoCal than Alaska. Also right for picking on me for the bad
habit of quoting to more than two digit accuracy. After the first 1600
lbs who really cares about that last 69 lbs? Unless you are on a plane.
Nicco