ridecamp@endurance.net: correct response?

correct response?

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull (elsie@calweb.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:52:35 -0700

Kirsten wrote:
> I got the same impression on the rides that I actually rode myself. At my
> first one I had an overly excited 50 miler yell at me "Get your horses butt
> out of the way" - in a part of the trail where there was only room for one
> horse at a time.

Gasp.

Am I naive, or is this just astonishingly rude?

I'm sitting here wondering exactly what the correct response to such
a yell would be:

a) "Just *&%$ off" [no, that's just as rude, but probably appropriate]

b) oops, my riding crop inadvertantly whacked your horse on
the butt as you pushed past, causing him to react in a
violent and excitable manner [no, that's not kind to the
horse, who is probably already having a bad day]

c) oops, my riding crop inadvertantly poked you in the eye/
ear/insert other delicate area, as you pushed past [actually
none of these will work - who'd be carrying a riding crop in
an endurance ride?]

d) Remember this episode later when you get back to camp and discover
that the AERC have come up with a new rule, and riders are being
disqualified for rudeness on the trail. [nah, the AERC would never
go for it]

e) Seek out the rider's SO/mother/crew and ask if that is the normal
behaviour of the rider in question, and, if so, do they condone it?
[I'm hoping that, put the right way, the SO/mother/crew will be
so disgusted with the rider that they'll refuse to support/crew
for them again][there's me being naive again...]

Any ideas?

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

http://www.calweb.com/~elsie http://www.calweb.com/~trouble **************************************************************