ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: markings

Re: markings

Niccolai Murphy (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:45:42 -0700

tina hicks wrote:

> At 06:48 AM 6/11/97 -0700, Niccolai Murphy wrote:
>
> >4. You are responsible for yourself and your animal, NOT the ride
> >manager. Ribbons get blown away, eaten by cows, pulled down by boy
> >scouts trying to keep the country side tidy, etc. Worst comes to the
> >worst you can always go back the way you came.
>
> so.....once the ride manager puts up the ribbons that's IT? the
> responsibility for a marked trail ends there?
>
> if that's the case why have ribbons/trail markings at all?? Just give
> us a
> topo map/compass and send us on our way....
>
> Oh wait, there is something like that - it's called Competitive
> Mounted
> Orienteering (or something to that effect) - NOT endurance riding
>
> Tina

Ah but you miss my point. You cannot expect anyone else to take
responsibility for you and you must have a plan to extract yourself from
your own predicament. You choose to enter a ride, if the ride is not
well enough marked for you, you should decide to discontinue the ride
before you get into trouble. Collectively, as a society we seem to
expect authority to protect us from everything.

But yes a Topo map would be nice for those of us who cannot see the
ribbons!

Nicco

--
Open the pod bay door please Hal.