ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: LD RACES???

RE: LD RACES???

Mike Sofen (a-miksof@MICROSOFT.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 07:35:27 -0700

There's a place for competition, and there's a place for completions -
the two aren't mutually exclusive.

What there isn't a place for is rudeness, mean-spiritedness, and
ruthless behavior toward horses. In the Team Roping world, where all
the main events are sanctioned by a national organization, person and
animal abuse used to be fairly rampant until the national org started
flexing it's muscle.

It now issues credit card type ID cards which are required with photo ID
at each event. If the rider misbehaves within certain guidelines
(mostly relating to ethics), they can be banned from the competition or
for a certain time period, even for life. This kind of sanctioning was
applied to some hard nosed individuals, who raised a holy ruckus, then
disappeared.

It put the entire sport back on an even keel, where honest and yes, even
polite competition could occur. Ropers are some of the most
aggressively competitive horse people I've met, so if they can do it,
endurance folks can do it.

The AERC already exists. Why doesn't it flex a little muscle here?
After all, it isn't the competition that's bad, it's the human jerks.

Mike Sofen
Seattle, WA

m i k e s o f e n
IMS Data Architectures