ridecamp@endurance.net: re: Hyper horse - sit deep

re: Hyper horse - sit deep

Karen Callan (Karen_Callan@radian.com)
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 14:51:54 -0500

Glenda wrote:

>Other people have told me to slow him down with my seat,
>not my reins, but no one can tell me how to actually do
>that when posting.
>I'd love to hear any tips you have on that.

Try this: You can still use a "deep seat" when you're
posting - you're just sort of doing it every other step.

Just set your body/seat the same as you would if you were
sitting the trot - and just think of coming down very
deliberately, calmly, slowly, "heavily". I hate to say
"heavily" - but contrast it with a very "light and speedy"
seat.

Remember, you're trying to tell the horse the speed YOU want
to go - and if you establish a very set, rhythmic, slow
posting pace - the horse will have to get in sync with you
(well, ideally) - or be just as uncomfortable as you are
when you're out of sync. Just have your whole attitude and
body/seat say to the horse: This is the pace of this trot -
and no matter how jiggy/speedy/revvy you act - this is what
we're doing. It probably won't happen immediately - but it
will eventually. Keep at it! And intersperse it with
walking.

Good luck.

Karen Callan